AVID Jazz here presents three classic Tal Farlow albums plus including original LP liner notes on a finely re-mastered and low priced double CD.
Autumn In New York, The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow, This Is Tal Farlow and 7 out of 8 tracks from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen.
From 1954 Autumn In New York features Tal on guitar with Gerry Wiggins on piano, Ray Brown on bass and Chico Hamilton on drums. Largely self- taught, Tal Farlow came up through the ranks with a reputation for speed! Inspired by the playing of Charlie Christian in the Goodman band, Farlow would go on to combine this unique speed with technique and become one of the great jazz guitar players of the era. On this set, apart from Cherokee taken at break neck speed, the rest is of a more restrained nature! The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow from 1956 features the trio of Farlow, up and coming pianist Eddie Costa on piano and the as yet unknown Vinnie Burke on bass. The trio played to unanimous praise in New York as attested to by critic Nat Hentoff in the original liner notes
one of the most gratifying trios to play New York in the past three years
..continually inventive interplay
.Farlow, ideas wise is like a swinging waterfall with a rare reserve resourcefulness of fresh conception
Nice! 1958s This Is Tal Farlow features Eddie Costa again on piano with Nabil Totah on bass and Jimmy Campbell on drums. The quartet forms a fine cohesive unit with Farlow and Costa making a solid and complimentary first line with Totah and Campbell ably supporting back up! For our final selection Tal journeys across the three phases of composer Harold Arlens illustrious career for Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen. Firstly, Arlen as the night club composer writing revues for the Cotton Club, secondly as the great Broadway writer and thirdly and perhaps inevitably, as the Hollywood film composer. Joining Tal as the principal soloist is Frank Weiss on tenor sax!
All three albums plus have been digitally re-mastered.
1-8: Autumn In New York
1. I Like To Recognise The Tune
2. Strike Up The Band
3. Autumn In New York
4. And She Remembers Me
5. Little Girl Blue
6. Have You Met Miss Jones?
7. Tals Blues
9-16: The Swinging Guitar Of Tal Farlow
9. Taking A Chance On Love
10. Yardbird Suite
11. You Stepped Out Of A Dream
12. They Cant Take That Away From Me
13. Anything Goes
14. Like Someone In Love
1-2: The Swinging Guitar Of Tal Farlow
1. I Love You
2. You Dont Know What Love Is
3-10: This Is Tal Farlow
3. Lean On Me
4. Wonder Why
5. Night And Day
6. Stella By Starlight
7. The More I See You
8. All The Things You Are
9. How Long Has This Been Going On
11. Blues In The Night from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
12. Hit The Road To Dreamland from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
13. For Every Man Theres A Woman from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
14. As Long As I Live from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
15. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
16. Petticoat High from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen
17. One Step Two Step from Tal Farlow Plays The Music Of Harold Arlen