RCA producer Ethel Gabriel worked on the Melachrino Strings Moods in Music series and in the late 1950s developed the Living Strings as a package for RCAs budget label, Camden, using various orchestras, mainly from Europe. The albums were all centred on a theme: the sea, the West, Broadway, night music. The recordings made by The Living Strings became a mainstay of easy-listening radio and commercial venues.
Johnny Douglas, one of Englands masters of string arranging, was the primary arranger and conductor for the series recorded in England. He brought great songs to a new life with his arrangements of a mass of pure velvety strings, mellow brass and superb solos played by the cream of the British musicians of that era.
This release brings together two of the albums he recorded in the 1960s and 1970s.
Original RCA Camden Albums:-
No, No, Nanette no. LSP4504 published 1971
At the time of its release, this album was considered to be the best recordings of the songs from the show.
On Broadway no. CAL692 published 1962
An album featuring a cross section of the hits and show stoppers from the Broadway musicals of 1961.
1-10: No, No Nanette
1. Too Many Rings Around Rosie
2. Ive Confessed To The Breeze
3. Medlley: Call Of The Sea / Peach On The Beach
4. No, No Nanette
5. Tea For Two
6. You Can Dance With Any Girl
7. Where Has My Hubby Gone Blues
8. Medley: Telephone Girlie / Waiting For You
9. Take A Little One Step
10. I Want To Be Happy
11-20: On Broadway
11. I Believe In You from How To Suceed In Business without Really Trying
12. Paris Original from How To Suceed In Business without Really Trying
13. The Brotherhood Of Man from How To Suceed In Business without Really Trying
14. To Look Upon My Love from Kean
15. Inevitable from Kean
16. Im Just Taking My Time from Subways Are For Sleeping
17. Comes Once In A Lifetime from Subways Are For Sleeping
18. Shalom from Milk And Honey
19. Everything Beautiful from Let It Ride
20. His Own Little Island from Let It Ride